Tuesday, October 13, 2009

8 Questions with.....guitarist Rob Carlton


8 Questions with.....guitarist Rob Carlton
By Michael Sullivan
Feb 25, 2008, 00:21



Welcome to another edition of "8 Questions with......" my ongoing interview series with the wonderful people that live here on my MySpace page.
  Feel free to leave feedback,kudos or better yet,SUBSCRIBE!
 
First off,thank you all for your support on the Debbie Rochon interview! Your support just kicks ass!
I know this series is doing well when I get a pretty renowned MySpace blogger not only dropping comments but then adding the person as a friend...so,thank you Kat,you rock!
 
As many of you by now know,I was a booking agent for many years in California. I saw a lot of great artists and I always respected any musician who could put thier gear in a van and cross the country touring. They would print up some shirts,some vinyl and CDs and play a line of small clubs with no crowd and low pay.
Indy music has always been my favorite and I guess thats one of the best things about MySpace,the chance to explore a new voice making some very exciting music...
  This is how I met Rob Carlton...I don't know who added who,I just know I enjoy his music and his outlook on life. When I asked for this interview,he was very kind to answer and say "yeah,lets do it!".You could almost hear the excitement coming thru his email. This is the kind of energy I enjoy I seeing both in my music listening and creating something new and fun!
 
So relax,turn off the Oscars (go,Tilda!),pop some corn and enjoy 8 Questions with........guitarist Rob Carlton!
 
 
 
 
1. How did you discover music? What was the "moment"you knew you wanted to play music?
 
About the age of 12 I had heard some Jimi Hendrix music and was changed for life. I knew at first listen to songs like "Purple Haze" that was it for me. I had to find out about his sound,his effects and his amps. I was one what  seemed like a musical mission,or if you like,a quest.
 
2. What is harder to write for,a guitar or a bass part?
I think writing a  bass part is harder then guitar. Writing for guitar comes easy for me.Trying to put a interesting bass line for me seems like a challenge. But of course this varies with each individual musican.

3. Who are in your opinion,the three greatest guitar players ever and give 2 reasons apiece what made them so great.
 
Jimi Hendrix- the sound from his effects were amazing, it took the electric guitar to new heights. Also his live shows set the stage for what was to come.
Carlos Santana-unreal tones and a very smart songwriter.His bringing into the mix different songwriters to highlight his songs, when you hear a Santana song you know who is playing the guitar! His guitar playing is so singular,even the average music listener KNOWS when when Carlos is playing,no matter who might be singing...
  I'm adding a singer the same way for my live shows and this will be featured on the new CD I'm releasing later this year. 
Robin Trower- Some say he's a Hendrix clone but i think his sound is vastly different. His chords are very interesting for a rock player and also he has also used great singers like Santana.  Robin recorded my favorite  CD of all time, "Bridge of Sigh".

4.As a real guitar whiz...what is your take on "air guitar" and the new "Guitar Hero" video game?
 
 I think its great! I'm so happy the guitar is big again - guitar  solos are back! What it does is let the housewife down the street be a guitar hero! Its good for the Rob Carlton band as well. Air guitar seems to be cool at the clubs as well, its all part of this guitar thing going on right now makes me smile. Just think of it this way...if someone enjoys the reaction they get from air guitar or a guitar game..perhaps that will lead them to actually picking a guitar for real!

5. You recently appeared in Guitar Magazine....how did that come about?
 
Ok it all started out as a dream at a young age. I never gave up on that dream no matter what happen in my life,persistence pays off if you have that dream. Never give up! Now GHS Corp., the string company has signed me to endorse thier products,so be on the  lookout for the Rob Carlton Band  to be on their website soon.

6. Tell us about your town and local music scene,what makes it stand out or suck the big one?
 
I live in a town where the music scene is small but tight,once you get out there,play some shows and support other bands, you're in. I have to plug this local music paper,Nemo, they really do a great job for local musicians here. Also the Pennslyanna Musician mag. I think the scene is growing which is a good thing.

7. Do you like structure in your guitar playing or could you sit in with a "jam" band and play whatever strikes your fancy?
 
 I think I'm most comfortable just fitting in as i love to jam! As for structure, my new band has helped me with that. I added a 2nd guitarist to my live shows - I think everyone will love that because what you get on the new CD, you will hear live as well, if you're a guitar fan you will be well pleased.

8. What do you like BEST and LEAST about playing guitar?
 
What I like best I think is my slow lead and my bends. I thank Guitar Player Magazine for calling them thrilling, I do also some acoustic 12 string on the new CD using my Taylor guitar which I love. I think its a side of me of people have not heard yet.
What I like least well I have to say I'm pleased at my sound at this stage of my life. Line 6 amps have alot to do with this,so I guess what I'm saying is I'm pretty happy at this moment but I am always looking to improve my playing.
 
9. You have well over 1,300 MySpace friends/fans,how has MySpace helped you the most?
 
Well my MySpace page landed me a deal with a major mangement company, Omni Music Management. It also helped I think with connecting me with  Guitar Player and put me in touch with fans all over the world including japan! I  have 2 sites up, one with over 1300 friends/fans and a new one with over 1700 and there will soon be a official site up very soon as well so you can find out when we tour and all live shows,including how you can buy the new Rob Carlton CD.

10. Which of your friends will comment first on this interview?
 
Thats hard to say,most likely my guitar students or the housewife down the street ha .... just like to say one thing,while  everything seems to have been done before I'm just trying to add something to the world of guitar, make it real and most of all,make music from my heart.
 
 
To add Rob as a Friend:

No comments:

Post a Comment